BLACK OPAL TRAVEL GROUP
BOOKING TERMS AND CONDITIONS
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic please be aware that certain elements of your holiday may be impacted by additional measures implemented to protect your health and wellness. These may include, but are not limited to, social distancing, enhanced health screening at airports, hotels and other tourist attractions as well as additional entry requirements to countries. The wearing of personal protective equipment, such as face masks, may also be mandatory both in your hotel, in public places as well as at the airport and onboard your flight. We highly recommend that you consult the FCDO Website prior to your departure to ensure that you are fully informed of each countries requirement that you will be visiting. Please speak to a member of the Black Opal team if you require any clarification or have any particular concerns.
By making a booking, the first named person on the booking agrees on behalf of all persons detailed on the booking that:
- he/she has read these Booking Conditions and has the authority to and does agree to be bound by them;
- he/she is over 18 years of age and where placing an order for services with age restrictions declares that he/she and all members of the party are of the appropriate age to purchase those services; and
- he/she accepts financial responsibility for payment of the booking on behalf of all persons detailed on the booking.
PLEASE NOTE: We act in the following capacities, as Package Organiser in the sale of a Package which we have organised, as Agent in a ‘single service’ booking (i.e. an accommodation only or flight only booking) and as Agent in the sale of Packages organised by third parties.
Our obligations to you will therefore differ depending upon whether you book a Package which we have organised where we are acting as the Package Organiser (please see clause 19 for further details of where this will be the case) or where we have acted as a booking Agent to help you arrange or book holiday products sold by a third party tour operator/suppler (“Supplier/Principal”). Our differing obligations are set out below, in the following separate sections:
- Section A contains the conditions that will apply to all bookings you make with us;
- Section B contains the conditions that will apply when you make a Package booking with us where we are Package Organiser;
- Section C contains the conditions that will apply when you make a single service booking with us or where you make a booking for a package organised by a third party, where we are acting as Agent;
SECTION A – APPLICABLE TO ALL BOOKINGS
- Booking & Paying For Your Arrangements
A booking is made with us when you pay us a deposit or full payment, depending upon the time of booking, and we issue you with a booking confirmation either directly from ourselves or on behalf of the Supplier/Principal where we are acting in an agency capacity (please see Section C for further details). Bookings made shortly before commencement of a tour may be charged a surcharge depending on hotel and airline booking requirements. We will notify you prior to confirming your booking if that is the case.
Payment may be made by cheque, banker’s draft, credit card (Visa/Mastercard), debit card (Visa, Debit/Visa Electron/Switch/JCB Maestro) or bank transfer.
A binding contract between you and the Supplier/Principal (where we are acting as an Agent) or between you and us comes into existence when we despatch the booking confirmation to the first named person on the booking.
If your confirmed arrangements include a flight, we (or the Supplier/Principal, where we are acting as an Agent) will also issue you with an ATOL Certificate. Upon receipt, if you believe that any details on the ATOL Certificate, booking confirmation or any other document are wrong you must advise us immediately as changes cannot be made later and it may harm your rights if we are not notified of any inaccuracies in any document within ten days of our sending it out (five days for tickets).
The balance of the cost of your arrangements (including any applicable surcharge) is due in accordance with the payment terms notified to you at the time of booking. If we do not receive this balance in full and on time, we reserve the right to treat your booking as cancelled by you in which case the cancellation charges set out in either Section B or Section C below, as applicable, will become payable.
On selected holidays booked within 14 days of travel, payment will be accepted by bank transfer only and additional photo ID showing proof of resident (eg. passport / driving licence) may be requested.
We endeavour to ensure that all the information and prices both on our website and in any advertising material that we publish are accurate, however, occasionally changes and errors occur and we reserve the right to correct prices and other details in such circumstances. You must check the current price and all other details relating to the travel arrangements that you wish to book before you make your booking.
We reserve the right to amend advertised prices at any time. We also reserve the right to correct errors in both advertised and confirmed prices. Special note: changes and errors sometimes occur. You must check the price of your chosen travel arrangements at the time of booking.
Where you have booked a Package, additional terms and conditions apply, please see clause 20 for further information.
Adequate travel insurance is a condition of your contract with us or the Supplier/Principal. You must be satisfied that your insurance fully covers all your personal requirements including pre-existing medical conditions, cancellation charges, medical expenses and repatriation in the event of accident or illness. If you choose to travel without adequate insurance cover, neither we nor the Supplier/Principal will not be liable for any losses howsoever arising, in respect of which insurance cover would otherwise have been available.
- Events Beyond Our Control
Except where otherwise expressly stated in these Booking Conditions we (or the Supplier/Principal, where we are acting as an Agent) will not be liable or pay you compensation if our contractual obligations to you are affected by Events Beyond Our Control. For the purpose of these Booking Conditions, this means any event beyond our, the Supplier/Principal or our/their supplier’s control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Examples include warfare and acts of terrorism (and threat thereof), civil strife, significant risks to human health such as the outbreak of serious disease at the travel destination, epidemics, plagues or pandemics (including, but not limited to the ongoing effects of Covid-19 and/or any other strain of the coronavirus or natural disasters such as floods, earthquakes or weather conditions which make it impossible to travel safely to the travel destination or remain at the travel destination, the act of any government or other national or local authority including any port or river authorities, industrial dispute, labour strikes, lock closure, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, chemical or biological disaster, unavoidable technical problems with transport and all similar events our or the supplier(s) concerned’s control.
Please note that this particularly applies where an Event Beyond our Control leads to the cancellation of any event forming part of your arrangements booked with us (or the Supplier/Principal where we act as Agent), or the rearrangement or re-scheduling of an event so that they do not coincide with the other arrangements you have booked with us (or the Supplier/Principal where we act as Agent) and we (or the Supplier/Principal where we act as Agent) are unable to (or you cannot accept) any alternative arrangements offered. Such changes or cancellations of events at the request of, for example, sports associations, police or other local authorities, television/radio broadcasters will be considered an Event Beyond our Control and accordingly we will have no liability to you for compensation.
Brexit Implications: please note that certain travel arrangements may be affected as a result of the United Kingdom’s decision to leave the European Union. This could include an unavailability of certain flight routes, access to certain ports and airports etc. Please rest assured that this is something we will continue to monitor and will advise our customers as soon as possible if we become aware of any confirmed bookings that will be affected. However, since this is something which is completely unprecedented and outside our or the Supplier/Principal’s control, any such changes would be treated as Events Beyond Our Control, and whilst we will endeavour to provide suitable alternative arrangements or refunds where possible, we or the Supplier/Principal will not be liable to pay you any compensation.
- Special Requests
Any special requests must be advised to us at the time of booking e.g. diet, room location, a particular facility at a hotel etc. You should then confirm your requests in writing. Whilst every effort will be made by us (or the Supplier/Principal, where we are acting as an Agent) to try and arrange your reasonable special requests, we cannot guarantee that they will be fulfilled. The fact that a special request has been noted on your confirmation invoice or any other documentation or that it has been passed on to the supplier is not confirmation that the request will be met. Failure to meet any special request will not be a breach of contract on our part unless the request has been specifically confirmed by us. We do not accept bookings that are conditional upon any special request being met.
- Disabilities and Medical Problems
We are not a specialist disabled holiday company but we will do our utmost to cater for any special requirements you may have. If you or any member of your party has any medical problem or disability which may affect your trip, please provide us (or the Supplier/Principal where we are acting as Agent) with full details before your booking is confirmed so that we can try to advise you as to the suitability of your chosen travel arrangements. We or the Supplier/Principal may require you to produce a doctor’s certificate certifying that you are fit to participate in your chosen tour.
Acting reasonably, if we are unable to properly accommodate the needs of the person(s) concerned, we will not confirm your booking or if you did not give us full details at the time of booking, we will cancel it and impose applicable cancellation charges when we become aware of these details.
- Visa, Passport and Health Requirements
We can provide general information about the passport and visa requirements for your trip, but this is for guidance only and it remains your responsibility to check and fulfil the passport, visa, health and immigration requirements applicable to your itinerary. We can only provide general information about this. You must check requirements for your own specific circumstances with the relevant Embassies and/or Consulates and your own doctor as applicable. Requirements do change and you must check the up to date position in good time before departure.
Most countries now require passports to be valid for at least 6 months after your return date. If your passport is in its final year, you should check with the Embassy of the country you are visiting. For further information contact the Passport Office on 0870 5210410 or visit https://www.gov.uk/browse/citizenship/passports.
Special conditions apply for travel to the USA, and all passengers must have individual machine readable passports. Please check https://uk.usembassy.gov.
For European holidays you should obtain a completed and issued EHIC card prior to departure. For travel taking place on or after 1st January 2020, EHIC provisions have changed and so you should check https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021 and https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-residents-visiting-the-eueea-and-switzerland-healthcare for updates affecting your travel. You may need to apply for a Global Health Insurance Card prior to departure instead.Up to date travel advice can be obtained from the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, visit https://www.gov.uk/travelaware
Non British passport holders, including other EU nationals, should obtain up to date advice on passport and visa requirements from the Embassy, High Commission or Consulate of your destination or country(ies) through which you are travelling.
We do not accept any responsibility if you cannot travel, or incur any other loss because you have not complied with any passport, visa, immigration requirements or health formalities. You agree to reimburse us in relation to any fines or other losses which we incur as a result of your failure to comply with any passport, visa, immigration requirements or health formalities.
Please note: The impacts of Brexit may change your visa, ticket and health requirements. Third country nationals may require an airport transit visa when passing through EU Member States. There is the potential for disruption at borders when travelling between the UK and EU Member States and you should allow sufficient time for this when planning any onward travel. You should check any impacts of Brexit on your travel, in advance of your departure, to ensure that you fulfil the requirements post-Brexit, including any passport validly requirements. The UK Government passport checker can be found here https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-travel-europe.
- Your Behaviour
All our customers are expected to conduct themselves in an orderly and acceptable manner and not to disrupt the enjoyment of others. If in our opinion, the opinion of the Supplier/Principal (where we are acting as an Agent) or in the opinion of any hotel manager, property owner, or any other person in authority, your behaviour or that of any member of your party is causing or is likely to cause distress, danger or annoyance to any other customers or any third party, or damage to property, or to cause a delay or diversion to transportation, we / the Supplier/Principal reserve the right to terminate your booking immediately.
In the event of such termination our liability (or the Supplier/Principal’s where we act as Agent) to you and/or your party will cease and you and/or your party will be required to leave your accommodation or other arrangements immediately. Neither we nor the Supplier/Principal will have any further obligations to you and/or your party. No refunds for lost accommodation or any other arrangements will be made and we will not pay any expenses or costs incurred as a result of termination. You and/or your party may also be required to pay for loss and/or damage caused by your actions and we will hold you and each member of your party jointly and individually liable for any damage or losses caused by you or any member of your party. Full payment for any such damage or losses must be paid directly to the hotel manager or other supplier prior to departure. If you fail to make payment, you will be responsible for meeting any claims (including legal costs) subsequently made against us as a result of your actions together with all costs we incur in pursuing any claim against you. Neither we nor the Supplier/Principal can be held responsible for the actions or behaviour of other guests or individuals who have no connection with your booking arrangements or with us.
- Law and Jurisdiction
These Booking Conditions are governed by English law and we both agree that the courts of England and Wales have exclusive jurisdiction over any dispute, claim or other matter which may arise between us (unless you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland, in which case you can bring proceedings in your local court under Scottish or Northern Irish law, as applicable).
- Conditions of Suppliers
Many of the services which make up your holiday are provided by independent suppliers. Those suppliers provide these services in accordance with their own terms and conditions which will form part of your contract with us. Some of these terms and conditions may limit or exclude the supplier's liability to you, usually in accordance with applicable International Conventions. Copies of the relevant parts of these terms and conditions are available on request from us or the supplier concerned.
Important note: Where we provide tickets to events and/or matches our responsibility is limited to the provision of the tickets. We are not responsible for the provision or organisation of the event or match.
Tickets will be subject to the Event or Match organiser’s own Terms and Conditions and you should review these prior to booking. Copies are available from ourselves on request.
We cannot accept any responsibility for any postponement, cancellation or alteration to the event or match, and any claim made for a refund or compensation must be made to the Event or Match organiser directly.
Excursions or other tours that you may choose to book or pay for whilst you are on the trip are not part of your contracted arrangements with us. For any excursion or other tour that you book, your contract will be with the operator of the excursion or tour and not with us. We are not responsible for the provision of the excursion or tour or for anything that happens during the course of its provision by the operator.
- Delays, Missed Transport Arrangements and other Travel Information
If you or any member of your party misses your flight or other transport arrangement, it is cancelled or you are subject to a delay of over 3 hours for any reason, you must contact us and the airline or other transport supplier concerned immediately.
Under EU Law, you have rights in some circumstances to refunds and/or compensation from the airline in cases of denied boarding, cancellation or delay to flights. Full details of these rights will be publicised at EU airports and will also be available from airlines. If the airline does not comply with these rules you should complain to the Civil Aviation Authority at www.caa.co.uk/passengers. Reimbursement in such cases is the responsibility of the airline and will not automatically entitle you to a refund of your holiday price from us. If, for any reason, you do not claim against the airline and make a claim for compensation from us, you must, at the time of payment of any compensation to you, make a complete assignment to us of the rights you have against the airline in relation to the claim that gives rise to that compensation payment. A delay or cancellation to your flight does not automatically entitle you to cancel any other arrangements even where those arrangements have been made in conjunction with your flight.
We cannot accept liability for any delay which is due to any of the reasons set out in clause 5 of these Booking Conditions (which includes the behaviour of any passenger(s) on any flight who, for example, fails to check in or board on time).
The carrier(s), flight timings and types of aircraft shown in this brochure or on our website and detailed on your confirmation invoice are for guidance only and are subject to alteration and confirmation. We shall inform you of the identity of the actual carrier(s) as soon as we become aware of it. The latest flight timings will be shown on your tickets which will be despatched to you approximately two weeks before departure. You should check your tickets very carefully immediately on receipt to ensure you have the correct flight times. If flight times change after tickets have been dispatched we will contact you as soon as we can to let you know.
Please note the existence of a “Community list” (available for inspection at https://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/air/safety/air-ban_en) detailing air carriers that are subject to an operating ban with the EU Community.
- Advance Passenger Information
- Pre-seating on aircraft
Depending on your class of travel and the fare paid, your chosen airline may offer the option to reserve your on-board seat/s either free of charge or for a fee. However, once the allocation of these pre-bookable seats has been exhausted, you will not be able to reserve your seat until online check-in opens (usually 24 hours before departure) or at the airport on the day of departure. Please note, pre-assigned seats and/or seats together with your travelling companion/s are not guaranteed.
- Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office Advice
You are responsible for making yourself aware of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) advice in regard to the safety of the countries and areas in which you will be travelling and to make your decisions accordingly. Advice from the FCDO to avoid or leave a particular country may constitute Events Beyond our Control (See clause 5).
We are a Member of ABTA, membership numbers Y6736 / P8333. We are obliged to maintain a high standard of service to you by ABTA’s Code of Conduct. We can also offer you ABTA’s scheme for the resolution of disputes which is approved by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute. If we can’t resolve your complaint, go to www.abta.com to use ABTA’s simple procedure. Further information on the Code and ABTA’s assistance in resolving disputes can be found on www.abta.com
- Photographs and Testimonials
SECTION B: PACKAGE BOOKINGS
This section only applies to Packages booked with us, where we are acting as the Package Organiser (please see clause 19 for further details of when this will be the case). Please read this section in conjunction with Section A of these Booking Conditions.
- Definition of a Package
Where your booking is for a Package holiday that we have organised, as defined below, we will act as a “Package Organiser” and you will receive the rights and benefits under the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 (“PTRs”), as outlined in this Section B of our Booking Terms and Conditions.
A “Package” exists if you book a combination of at least two different types of the following separate travel services, for the purpose of the same trip or holiday:
- transport; or
- accommodation; or
- rental of cars, motor vehicles or motorcycles (in certain circumstances); and
- any other tourist service not intrinsically part of one of the above travel services, provided that those travel services are purchased together from a single visit to our website and selected by you before you agree to pay; or are advertised, sold or charged at an inclusive or total price; or advertised or sold under the term “package” or a similar term.
IMPORTANT NOTE: where you have made a booking which consists of not more than one type of travel service as listed at (a) – (c) above, combined with one or more tourist services as listed at (d) above, this will not create a Package where the tourist services:
- do not account for 25% of the value of the combination and are not advertised as, and do not otherwise represent, an essential feature of the package; or
- are selected and purchased after the performance of the transport, accommodation or car rental has started.
These bookings will be treated as “Single Service” bookings and will not be afforded the benefit of the rights under the PTRs. Please see Section C of these Booking Terms and Conditions for the terms applicable to such arrangements.
We occasionally sell Packages that are not organised by ourselves but by a third party Supplier/Principal, which we sell as an Agent on the Supplier/Principal’s behalf. We will advise you where this is the case prior to you placing your booking. For such sales, this Section B will not apply, please refer to Section C instead.
- Pricing of Packages
We reserve the right to amend the price of unsold holidays at any time and correct errors in the prices of confirmed holidays. We also reserve the right to increase the price of confirmed holidays solely to allow for increases which are a direct consequence of changes in:
- the price of the carriage of passengers resulting from the cost of fuel or other power sources;
- the level of taxes or fees chargeable for services applicable to the holiday imposed by third parties not directly involved in the performance of the holiday, including tourist taxes.
- the exchange rates relevant to the package.
Such variations could include but are not limited to airline cost changes which are part of our contracts with airlines (and their agents), cruise ship operators and any other transport providers.
We will absorb and you will not be charged for any increase equivalent to 2% of the price of your travel arrangements, which excludes any amendment charges and/or additional services or travel arrangements. You will be charged for the amount over and above that.
However, if this means that you have to pay an increase of more than 8% of the total price of the confirmed holiday (excluding any insurance premiums, amendment charges and/or additional services or travel arrangements), you will have the option of accepting a change to another holiday if we are able to offer one (if this is of lower quality you will be refunded the difference in price), or cancelling and receiving a full refund of all monies paid to us, except for any amendment charges and/or additional services or travel arrangements. Should you decide to cancel for this reason, you must exercise your right to do so within 7 days from the issue date printed on your final invoice. We will consider an appropriate refund of insurance premiums paid if you can show that you are unable to transfer or reuse your policy.
Should the price of your holiday go down due to the changes mentioned above, then any refund due will be paid to you less an administrative fee of £15. However, please note that travel arrangements are not always purchased in local currency and some apparent changes have no impact on the price of your travel due to contractual and other protection in place.
There will be no change made to the price of your confirmed Package holiday within 20 days of your departure nor will refunds be paid during this period.
- Cutting your Package Holiday short
If you are forced to return home early, we cannot refund the cost of any travel arrangements you have not used. If you cut short your holiday and return home early in circumstances where you have no reasonable cause for complaint about the standard of accommodation and services provided, we will not offer you any refund for that part of your holiday not completed, or be liable for any associated costs you may incur. Depending on the circumstances, your travel insurance may offer cover for curtailment and we suggest that any claim is made directly with them.
- If You Change Your Booking & Transfers of Bookings
If you wish to change any part of your booking after our confirmation invoice has been issued, you must inform us in writing as soon as possible. This should be done by the first named person on the booking. Whilst we will do our best to assist, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to meet your requested change. Where we can meet a request, all changes will be subject to payment of an administration fee of £50 per person per change, as well as any costs and charges incurred by us and/or incurred or imposed by any of our suppliers in making this change. You should be aware that these costs could increase the closer to the departure date that changes are made and you should contact us as soon as possible. Where we are unable to assist you and you do not wish to proceed with the original booking we will treat this as a cancellation by you. A cancellation fee may be payable in accordance with clause 23.
Transfer of Booking:
If you or any member of your party is prevented from travelling, that person(s) may transfer their place to someone else, subject to the following conditions:
- that person is introduced by you and satisfies all the conditions applicable to the holiday;
- we are notified not less than 7 days before departure;
- you pay any outstanding balance payment, an amendment fee of £50 per person transferring, as well as any additional fees, charges or other costs arising from the transfer; and
- the transferee agrees to these booking conditions and all other terms of the contract between us.
You and the transferee remain jointly and severally liable for payment of all sums. If you are unable to find a replacement, cancellation charges as set out in clause 23 will apply in order to cover our estimated costs. Otherwise, no refunds will be given for passengers not travelling or for unused services.
Important Note: Certain arrangements may not be amended or transferred after they have been confirmed (for example, scheduled airlines normally regard name changes as a cancellation and rebooking) and any alteration could incur a cancellation charge of up to 100% of that part of the arrangements.
Clients who do not travel as part of the group will be responsible to make their own way to and from the airport(s) and/or hotels, at their own expense.
- If You Cancel Your Booking Before Departure
If you or any other member of your party decides to cancel your confirmed booking you must notify us in writing. Your notice of cancellation will only take effect when it is received in writing by us at our offices and will be effective from the date on which we receive it.
Should one or more member of a party cancel, it may increase the per person holiday price of those still travelling and you will be liable to pay this increase.
Since we incur costs in cancelling your arrangements, you will have to pay the cancellation charges shown below. The cancellation charge detailed is calculated on the basis of the total cost payable by the person(s) cancelling excluding insurance premiums and amendment charges (which are not refundable in the event of the person(s) to whom they apply cancelling). These charges are in addition to any cancellation fees which may be levied by suppliers (airlines, hotels, land operators, cricket ticket suppliers etc.).
Period before departure in which you notify us
More than 90 days
Deposit plus any interim payments received
70 – 90 days
40% of the total cost of the tour plus the full cost of any flights which have been booked and paid for
30 – 70 days
75% of the total cost of the tour plus the full cost of any flights which have been booked and paid for
Less than 30 days
100% of the total cost of the tour
Please note that amendment charges are not refundable in any circumstances.
Important Note: Certain arrangements may not be amended after they have been confirmed and any alteration or cancellation could incur a cancellation charge of up to 100% of that part of the arrangements in addition to the charge above.
If the reason for your cancellation is covered under the terms of your insurance policy, you may be able to reclaim these charges.
Where possible, we will deduct the cancellation charge(s) from any monies you have already paid to us.
Cancellation by You due to Unavoidable & Extraordinary Circumstances:
You have the right to cancel your confirmed holiday before departure without paying a cancellation charge in the event of “unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances” occurring at your holiday destination or its immediate vicinity and significantly affecting the performance of the holiday or significantly affecting the transport arrangements to the destination. In these circumstances, we shall provide you with a full refund of the monies you have paid but we will not be liable to pay you any additional compensation. Please note that your right to cancel in these circumstances will only apply where the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office advises against travel to your destination or its immediate vicinity. For the purposes of this clause, “unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances” means warfare, acts of terrorism, significant risks to human health such as the outbreak of serious disease at the travel destination or natural disasters such as floods, earthquakes or weather conditions which make it impossible to travel safely to the travel destination.
This clause 23 outlines the rights you have if you wish to cancel your Package booking. Please note that there is no automatic statutory right of cancellation under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
- If We Change or Cancel your Package Holiday
As we plan your holiday arrangements many months in advance we may occasionally have to make changes or cancel your booking and we reserve the right to do so at any time.
Please note that due to the nature of the arrangements you book, occasionally, we may have to make changes and we reserve the right to do so at any time. This is because the sporting fixtures forming part of your booked arrangements with us are subject to change and a certain level of flexibility is required by you. Most of these changes will be minor and we will advise you or your travel agent of them at the earliest possible date.
Changes: If we make a minor change to your holiday, we will make reasonable efforts to inform you or your travel agent as soon as reasonably possible if there is time before your departure but we will have no liability to you. Examples of minor changes include alteration of your outward/return flights by less than 12 hours, changes to aircraft type, change of accommodation to another of the same or higher standard, changes of carriers. Please note that carriers such as airlines used in the brochure may be subject to change.
Occasionally we may have to make a significant change to your confirmed arrangements. Examples of “significant changes” include the following, when made before departure:
- A change of accommodation area for the whole or a significant part of your time away.
- A change of accommodation to that of a lower standard or classification for the whole or a significant part of your time away.
- A change of outward departure time or overall length of your arrangements by more than 12 hours.
- A change of UK departure airport except between:
- The London airports: Gatwick, Heathrow, Luton, Stansted, London City and Southend
- The South Coast airports: Southampton, Bournemouth and Exeter
- The South Western airports: Cardiff and Bristol
- The Midlands airports: Birmingham, East Midlands and Doncaster Sheffield
- The Northern airports: Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds Bradford
- The North Eastern airports: Newcastle and Teesside
- The Scottish airports: Edinburgh, Glasgow, Prestwick and Aberdeen
- A significant change to your itinerary, missing out one or more destination entirely.
Cancellation: We will not cancel your Package holiday after the balance due date, except for reasons of Events Beyond Our Control or failure by you to pay the final balance. We may cancel your holiday before this date if, e.g., the minimum number of clients required for a particular travel arrangement is not reached.
If we have to make a significant change or cancel, we will tell you as soon as possible and if there is time to do so before departure, we will offer you the choice of:
- (for significant changes) accepting the changed arrangements; or
- having a refund of all monies paid; or
- if available and where we offer one, accepting an offer of an alternative holiday (we will refund any price difference if the alternative is of a lower value).
You must notify us of your choice within 7 days of our offer. If we do not hear from you within 7 days, we will contact you again to request notification of your choice. If you fail to respond again, we will assume that you have chosen to accept the change or alternative booking arrangements.
In addition to a full refund of all monies paid by you, we will pay you compensation as detailed below, in the following circumstances:
- If, where we make a significant change, you do not accept the changed arrangements and cancel your booking;
- If we cancel your booking and no alternative arrangements are available and/or we do not offer one.
The compensation that we offer does not exclude you from claiming more if you are entitled to do so.
Period before departure in which we notify you
Amount you will receive from us*
More than 90 days
70 – 90 days
30 – 69 days
Less than 30 days
*IMPORTANT NOTE: We will not pay you compensation in the following circumstances:
- where we make a minor change;
- where we make a significant change or cancel your arrangements more than 90 days before departure;
- where we make a significant change and you accept those changed arrangements or you accept an offer of alternative travel arrangements;
- where we have to cancel your arrangements as a result of your failure to make full payment on time;
- where the change or cancellation by us arises out of alterations to the confirmed booking requested by you;
- where we are forced to cancel or change your arrangements due to Events Beyond Our Control (see clause 5).
If we become unable to provide a significant proportion of the arrangements that you have booked with us after you have departed, we will, if possible, make alternative arrangements for you at no extra charge and where those alternative arrangements are of a lower standard, provide you with an appropriate price reduction.
We make every effort to ensure that your Package holiday arrangements run smoothly so it important to us that we are given the opportunity to resolve any issues that you may encounter during your holiday, this means addressing any issues immediately and carefully so they do not affect the rest of your trip. If you do have a problem during your holiday, please inform your Tour Director and the relevant supplier (e.g. your hotelier) immediately who will endeavour to put things right. If your complaint is not resolved locally, please contact Black Opal, on +44 (0330) 041 4888 so that the problem can be resolved as quickly.
If the problem cannot be resolved and you wish to complain further, you must send formal written notice of your complaint to us at our registered office, ideally within 28 days of the end of your stay, giving your booking reference and all other relevant information. Please keep your letter concise and to the point. This will assist us to quickly identify your concerns and speed up our response to you. Failure to follow the procedure set out in this clause may affect ours and the applicable supplier’s ability to investigate your complaint, and will affect your rights under this contract.
Please note that we offer an Alternative Dispute Resolution service through our ABTA membership. Please see clause 13 for further details.
- Our Responsibilities to You in respect of Package Holidays
- We will accept responsibility for the arrangements we agree to provide or arrange for you as an “organiser” under the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018, as set out below and as such, we are responsible for the proper provision of all travel services included in your package, as set out in your confirmation invoice. Subject to these Booking Conditions, if we or our suppliers negligently perform or arrange those services and we don’t remedy or resolve your complaint within a reasonable period of time, and this has affected the enjoyment of your package holiday you may be entitled to an appropriate price reduction or compensation or both. You must inform us without undue delay of any failure to perform or improper performance of the travel services included in this package. The level of any such price reduction or compensation will be calculated taking into consideration all relevant factors such as but not limited to: following the complaints procedure as described in these Booking Conditions and the extent to which ours or our employees’ or suppliers’ negligence affected the overall enjoyment of your holiday. Please note that it is your responsibility to show that we or our supplier(s) have been negligent if you wish to make a claim against us.
- We will not be responsible or pay you compensation for any injury, illness, death, loss, damage, expense, cost or other claim of any description if it results from:
- the acts and/or omissions of the person affected; or
- the acts and/or omissions of a third party unconnected with the provision of the services contracted for and which were unavoidable and extraordinary; or
- Events Beyond Our Control (as defined in clause 5).
- We limit the amount of compensation we may have to pay you if we are found liable under this clause:
- Loss of and/or damage to any luggage or personal possessions and money: the maximum amount we will have to pay you in respect of these claims is an amount equivalent to the excess on your insurance policy which applies to this type of loss per person in total because you are required to have adequate insurance in place to cover any losses of this kind.
- Claims not falling under (a) above and which don’t involve injury, illness or death: the maximum amount we will have to pay you in respect of these claims is up to three times the price paid by or on behalf of the person(s) affected in total. This maximum amount will only be payable where everything has gone wrong and you or your party has not received any benefit at all from your booking.
- Claims in respect of international travel by air, sea and rail, or any stay in a hotel:
- The extent of our liability will in all cases be limited as if we were carriers under the appropriate Conventions such as The Paris Convention (with respect to hotel arrangements). You can ask for a copy of this Convention from our offices. Please contact us. In addition, you agree that the operating carrier or transport company's own 'Conditions of Carriage' will apply to you on that journey. When arranging transportation for you, we rely on the terms and conditions contained within these international conventions and those 'Conditions of Carriage'. You acknowledge that all of the terms and conditions contained in those 'Conditions of Carriage' form part of your contract with us, as well as with the transport company and that those 'Conditions of Carriage' shall be deemed to be included by reference into this contract.
- In any circumstances in which a carrier is liable to you by virtue of EC 261/2004 (denied boarding and flight disruption), any liability we may have to you under our contract with you, arising out of the same facts, is limited to the remedies provided under the Regulation as if (for this purpose only) we were a carrier.
- When making any payment, we are entitled to deduct any money which you have received or are entitled to receive from the transport provider or hotelier for the complaint or claim in question.
- It is a condition of our acceptance of liability under this clause that you notify any claim to us and our supplier(s) strictly in accordance with the complaints procedure set out in these conditions.
- Where any payment is made, the person(s) receiving it (and their parent or guardian if under 18 years) must also assign to us or our insurers any rights they may have to pursue any third party and must provide ourselves and our insurers with all assistance we may reasonably require.
- Please note, we cannot accept any liability for any damage, loss or expense or other sum(s) of any description:
- which on the basis of the information given to us by you concerning your booking prior to our accepting it, we could not have foreseen you would suffer or incur if we breached our contract with you; or
- relate to any business:
- indirect or consequential loss of any kind.
- We will not accept responsibility for services or facilities which do not form part of our agreement or where they are not advertised on our website. For example any excursion you book whilst away, or any service or facility which your hotel or any other supplier agrees to provide for you.
- Where it is impossible for you to return to your departure point as per the agreed return date of your package, due to “unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances”, we shall provide you with any necessary accommodation (where possible, of a comparable standard) for a period not exceeding three nights per person. Please note that the 3 night cap does not apply to persons with reduced mobility, pregnant women or unaccompanied minors, nor to persons needing specific medical assistance, provided we have been notified of these particular needs at least 48 hours before the start of your holiday. For the purposes of this clause, “unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances” mean warfare, acts of terrorism, significant risks to human health such as the outbreak of serious disease at the travel destination or natural disasters such as floods, earthquakes or weather conditions which make it impossible to travel safely back to your departure point.
- Insolvency Protection for Package Holidays
We provide financial security for flight-inclusive packages where we act as package organiser and ATOL protected flights by way of our Air Travel Organiser’s Licence number 11543, issued by the Civil Aviation Authority, Gatwick Airport South, West Sussex, RH6 0YR, UK, telephone 0333 103 6350, email: email@example.com.
When you buy an ATOL protected product from us you will receive an ATOL Certificate. This lists what is financially protected, where you can get information on what this means for you and who to contact if things go wrong. For further information, visit the ATOL website at www.atol.org.uk. The price of our flight inclusive arrangements includes the amount of £2.50 per person as part of the ATOL Protection Contribution (APC) we pay to the CAA. This charge is included in our advertised prices. Not all holiday or travel services offered and sold by us will be protected by the ATOL Scheme. ATOL protection extends primarily to customers who book and pay in the United Kingdom and European Economic Area (EEA).
We, or the suppliers identified on your ATOL Certificate, will provide you with the services listed on the ATOL Certificate (or a suitable alternative). In some cases, where neither we nor the supplier are able to do so for reasons of insolvency, an alternative ATOL holder may provide you with the services you have bought (at no extra cost to you). You agree to accept that in those circumstances the alternative ATOL holder will perform those obligations and you agree to pay any money outstanding to be paid by you under your contract to that alternative ATOL holder. However, you also agree that in some cases it will not be possible to appoint an alternative ATOL holder, in which case you will be entitled to make a claim under the ATOL Scheme (or your credit card issuer where applicable).
If we, or the suppliers identified on your ATOL certificate, are unable to provide the services listed (or a suitable alternative, through an alternative ATOL holder or otherwise) for reasons of insolvency, the Trustees of the Air Travel Trust may make a payment to (or confer a benefit on) you under the ATOL scheme. You agree that in return for such a payment or benefit you assign absolutely to those Trustees any claims which you have or may have arising out of or relating to the non-provision of the services, including any claim against us, the travel agent (or your credit card issuer where applicable). You also agree that any such claims may be re-assigned to another body, if that other body has paid sums you have claimed under the ATOL scheme.
We provide full financial protection for our package holidays which don’t include flights, where we act as package organiser, by way of a bond held by ABTA Ltd, The Travel Association 30 Park Street London SE1 9EQ www.abta.co.uk.
If you book a package holiday organised by a third party where we act as Agent only, your monies will be financially protected by the package organiser. Please see their booking conditions for further details.
If you book arrangements other than package holiday from us, your monies will not be financially protected. Please ask us for further details.
You can access the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 here:
- Prompt Assistance for Packages
If you have booked a Package and whilst you are on holiday, you find yourself in difficulty for any reason we will offer you such prompt assistance as is appropriate in the circumstances. In particular, we will provide you with appropriate information on health services, local authorities and consular assistance, and with distance communications and finding alternative travel arrangements. Where you require assistance that is not owing to any failure by us, our employees or sub-contractors, we will not be liable for the costs of any alternative travel arrangements or other such assistance you require. Any supplier, airline or other transport supplier may however pay for or provide refreshments and/or appropriate accommodation and you should make a claim directly to them. Subject to the other terms of these Booking Conditions, we will not be liable for any costs, fees or charges you incur in the above circumstances, if you fail to obtain our prior authorisation before making your own travel arrangements. Furthermore, we reserve the right to charge you a fee for our assistance in the event that the difficulty is caused intentionally by you or a member of your party, or otherwise through your or your party’s negligence.
SECTION C: AGENCY BOOKINGS
This section applies to all bookings that you make with us when we are acting in an Agent capacity. Please read this section in conjunction with Section A of these Booking Conditions. This section will apply where you book a single service (e.g. an accommodation only booking) or where you book a package which has been organised by a third party
- Your Contract with the Supplier/Principal
Where we act as Agent, we will arrange for you to enter into a contract with the applicable Supplier/Principal (e.g. tour operator/airline//accommodation provider) of your chosen travel arrangements, as specified in your confirmation invoice.
As an Agent we accept no responsibility for the acts or omissions of the Supplier/Principal or for the services provided by the Supplier/Principal. The Supplier/Principal’s Terms & Conditions will apply to your booking and we advise you to read these carefully as they do contain important information about your booking. Please ask us for copies of these if you do not have them.
If you have paid a deposit, you must pay full balance by the balance due date notified you. If full payment is not received by the balance due date, we will notify the Supplier/Principal who may cancel your booking and charge the cancellation fees set out in their Terms and Conditions.
Except where otherwise stated in the booking conditions of the Supplier/Principal concerned, all monies you pay to us for travel arrangements will be held on behalf of the Supplier/Principal and forwarded on to the Supplier/Principal in accordance with our agreement with them.
- Changes and Cancellations by You
Any cancellation or amendment request must be sent to us in writing, by email, and will take effect at the time we receive it. Please ensure that you have received written confirmation of any changes to your booking prior to travel. Whilst we will try to assist, we cannot guarantee that the Supplier/Principal will meet such requests. Amendments and cancellations can only be accepted in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Supplier/Principal of your arrangements.
The Supplier/Principal may charge the cancellation or amendment charges shown in their terms and conditions (which may be as much as 100% of the cost of the arrangements and will normally increase closer to the date of departure). In addition, you must pay us an administration fee of £35 per booking for any amendments to bookings and an administration fee of £35 for cancellations. We will notify you of the exact charges at the time of amendment or cancellation.
- Changes and Cancellations by the Supplier/Principal
We will inform you as soon as reasonably possible if the Supplier/Principal needs to make a significant change to your confirmed travel arrangements or to cancel them. If the supplier offers alternative arrangements or a refund, you will need to let us know your choice within the stipulated time frame. If you fail to do so the Supplier/Principal is entitled to assume you wish to receive a full refund. We will also liaise between you and the Supplier/Principal in relation to any alternative arrangements offered but we accept no liability for any changes or cancellations made to your arrangements by the Supplier/Principal under your contract with them.
- Our Responsibility for your Booking
Your contract is with the Supplier/Principal and its terms and conditions apply. As Agent, we accept no responsibility for the actual provision of the travel arrangements you have booked. Our responsibilities are limited to making the booking in accordance with your instructions. We accept no responsibility for any information about the travel arrangements that we pass on to you in good faith. However, in the event that we are found liable to you on any basis whatsoever, our maximum liability to you is limited to twice the cost of the commission we earn on your booking (or the appropriate proportion of this if not everyone on the booking is affected). We do not exclude or limit any liability for death or personal injury that arises as a result of our negligence or that of any of our employees whilst acting in the course of their employment.
Because the contract for your travel arrangements is between you and the Supplier/Principal, any queries or concerns about your arrangements should be addressed to them initially. If you have a problem with your travel arrangements whilst using them, this must be reported to the Supplier/Principal immediately. If you fail to follow this procedure there will be less opportunity for the Supplier/Principal to investigate and rectify your complaint. The amount of compensation you may be entitled to may therefore be reduced or extinguished as a result. If you wish to complain when you return home, write to the Supplier/Principal. You will see their name and contact details in any confirmation documents we send you. You may also choose to contact us on your return home if you wish to do so. We will happily assist and liaise between you and the Supplier/Principal but please note that the response to your complaint will be the responsibility of the Supplier/Principal (unless your complaint includes issues about our service to you as an Agent) and we will have no liability to you in this regard.
If you wish to complain about any service we have provided to you (i.e. our booking service) then please contact us directly.